What does it mean to be a leader? What are the traits of an effective leader? How can these traits help the people around you to focus, succeed, make more money, and – essentially – make a positive, meaningful difference?
Great leaders in any business or enterprise possess solid social intelligence, a drive for change, and above all, a vision that allows them to set their sights on the “things” that truly merit attention. The people who can do this are the leaders who truly make positive and powerful changes.
Some of our society’s greatest leaders have very powerful opinions about leadership. For example:
• Warren Bennis, the pioneer in the field of Leadership studies, thinks that “Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.”
• Founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, says: “As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others.”
• Leadership speaker and author John Maxwell explains that, “Leadership is influence – nothing more, nothing less.” However, he also defines a leader as “one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.”
• Management consultant, Peter Drucker, zeroed in on a very important element of leadership when he said, “management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.”
• World War II General and United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower once said, “Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something that YOU want done because HE wants to do it.”
Eisenhower’s point is so simple, yet it is fundamental and appropriate for all areas of great accomplishment: leading soldiers into battle, gaining a consensus between opposing political parties, or motivating your team to take the necessary actions to be successful.
When you can help others see the goal AND see the proper path to take to reach that goal, you will be an extraordinary and successful leader.
Linda Patten is a Leadership Trainer for women entrepreneurs and change-makers. Her vision for every woman is to become the natural leader she is meant to be, through teaching an empowering mindset, masculine AND feminine leadership skills, and how to activate a vision into a full-bodied business or social change movement.
For opportunities to awaken and empower the leader within you, please visit Dare2LeadwithLinda.